Governments of Canada and Alberta Support Upgrades to the North Lift Station in Turner Valley
January 14, 2015 – Turner Valley, Alberta – Western Economic Diversification Canada
The Town of Turner Valley will receive a combined total of $551,332 from the federal and provincial governments to upgrade its North Lift Station. John Barlow, Member of Parliament for Macleod, on behalf of the Honourable Michelle Rempel, Minister of State for Western Economic Diversification, and Ron Casey, Member of the Legislative Assembly for Banff-Cochrane, on behalf of Diana McQueen, Minister of Alberta Municipal Affairs, today announced the funding through the Canada-Alberta Building Canada Fund – Communities Component program.
This joint funding will enable the upgraded sanitary lift station to more efficiently dispose of wastewater, while providing the Town with enhanced opportunities for future development and expansion. Through such investments, the Governments of Canada and Alberta are helping to create jobs and ensure that communities have the modern infrastructure they require to grow and thrive.
• Under the Communities Component of the Building Canada Fund, the Government of Canada has invested in important projects across the West with matching contributions from the western provinces.
• The Communities Component is one of several programs in which the Alberta Government and Alberta municipalities partner to meet local infrastructure priorities.
• Thousands of Albertans across the province are enjoying the benefits of these significant investments to Canada and Alberta’s public infrastructure.
• The North Lift Station was developed in the 1970s to pump wastewater to the Town of Turner Valley’s main wastewater treatment facility. Since then, this lift station has become an important aspect of the community’s infrastructure.
“Our Government is committed to helping the Town of Turner Valley meet their infrastructure needs. Today’s announcement is a reflection of our commitment to creating jobs and growth, while building healthy and sustainable communities.”
– John Barlow, Member of Parliament for Macleod
“The Alberta Government is committed to building communities. Significant infrastructure such as the Turner Valley North Lift Station helps ensure Albertans continue to enjoy a high quality of life.”
– Diana McQueen, Minister of Alberta Municipal Affairs
“We greatly appreciate the financial support received from our provincial and federal partners in this project. With their help, we are able to continue to improve municipal infrastructure while encouraging growth and economic prosperity in the community.”
– Her Worship Kelly Tuck, Mayor, Town of Turner Valley
• Canada-Alberta Building Canada Fund – Communities Component
• Infrastructure Canada’s New Building Canada Plan
• Alberta Municipal Affairs
• Town of Turner Valley