Government Supports Macleod in Attracting Job-Creating and Prosperity-Generating Foreign Investment
June 11th, 2015 – Foreign Affairs, Trade and Development Canada
John Barlow, Member of Parliament for Macleod, on behalf of the Honourable Ed Fast, Minister of International Trade, today announced that Community Futures Alberta Southwest will receive $24,000 through the Government of Canada’s “Invest Canada – Community Initiatives” (ICCI) program to help them attract foreign investment and create jobs locally.
The Harper Government is focused on what matters to Canadians, jobs and economic growth. Attracting investment in local communities creates new opportunities and is crucial to Canada’s long-term prosperity. From 2013 to 2014, 146 new foreign businesses and expansions projects worth over $3.6 billion were attracted to Canada creating jobs and growth for all Canadians.
The government is committed to ensuring that Canada is a top destination for business investment by keeping taxes low, eliminating red tape and balancing the budget, ensuring economic prosperity for all Canadians.
• A total of 85 ICCI recipients from across Canada received from $3,000 to $300,000, for a total of $3.6 million.
• ICCI funds up to 50 percent of community-based activities aimed at developing and executing local investment-attraction strategies.
• For the seventh consecutive year, the World Economic Forum has declared Canada’s banking system to be the soundest in the world.
• Business costs in Canada are the lowest in the G-7.
• Canada’s workforce is the most highly educated among the countries of the Organization for Economic Co-operation and Development.
• The Economist Intelligence Unit rates Canada as the best G-7 country in which to do business over the five-year period from 2014 to 2018.
“Delivering jobs and economic prosperity for the people of Macleod and all Canadians remains the priority of this government.”- John Barlow, Member of Parliament for Macleod
“This government’s priority is the same as all Canadians, jobs and economic growth. By ensuring that Canada is a top destination for business investments the Harper Government is creating jobs and prosperity here in Macleod and for all Canadians and their families. – Ed Fast, Minister of International Trade
• The Invest Canada – Community Initiatives (ICCI) program provides matching federal funds that help communities attract, retain and expand foreign investment.
ICCI provides matching federal funds of up to 50 percent of eligible expenses. Applications are evaluated by adjudication committees in all regions of Canada. Non-repayable contributions range from $3,000 to $300,000, and agreements are made for a one-year period, from January 1 to December 31.
• Invest Canada – Community Initiatives
• Invest in Canada
• Global Markets Action Plan
• The Canadian Trade Commissioner Service