What is Casework?

One of my most important duties as your representative in the House of Commons is to assist you when dealing with federal agencies – this assistance is referred to as casework. My staff and I are happy to help you secure the services and benefits paid for by our tax dollars. Please email us or call the Constituency Office. Appointments are necessary to ensure confidentiality.
Constituents most commonly approach my staff for casework when they do not receive a timely response from a federal agency, when they wish to appeal a decision and need direction, or if they have lost important documents. Examples of federal agencies that we work with include the Canadian Food Inspection Agency, Canada Revenue Agency, and the Department of Veterans Affairs among others.

Cases I Can Help You With

Before you contact my office for assistance with your case, it is a good idea to do the following:

  • Determine if your concern is something my office has the authority and jurisdiction to help you with.
  • I can help you if you need assistance dealing with a federal agency. A federal agency is an organization that reports to the Executive branch of the Canadian Government such as Parks Canada or Farm Credit Canada, to name a few.  If your concern is with a federal agency, my staff are authorized to investigate on your behalf.
  • Attempt to resolve the problem with the federal agency yourself. Ensure you have contacted them with your issue and have received a response before you contact my office.

According to the House of Commons Standards of Official Conduct, I cannot act as an attorney or offer legal assistance in any way. While I will make my best efforts to assist you, please remember that federal agencies have discretion concerning decisions on individual cases and have the final say on the outcome.

How to Open a Case

1. Using the information provided above, make certain that your question or problem is something my office can assist you with.
2. Begin to gather the necessary documents which may include the most recent correspondence sent to/received from the agency (letters, decisions, notices, etc.), receipts for applications filed and fees paid, medical documentation (if applicable), financial records (if applicable), other letters of support. Please remember to send copies instead of original documents unless specifically requested by my staff.
3. Please call my Constituency office to make an appointment.

Appointments are necessary to ensure your privacy and the expediency of your file.