Do you know someone who has made a significant difference in your community?
In the Foothills we are blessed with an abundance of committed volunteers, community builders, skilled athletes and talented artists. The selfless contributions of these men, women and youth have helped build strong communities across southern Alberta. Through their actions the people of our communities demonstrate leadership, energy, passion and commitment to enhancing the lives of others.
In celebration of Canada’s 150th Anniversary we are offering the Foothills Canada 150 Medal – a commemoration medal in recognition of Foothills residents who have made outstanding contributions to their community. Nomination for this award is open to deserving individuals including educators, artists, athletes, scientists, coaches, entrepreneurs, emergency responders, community volunteers, activity organizers, and other every day heroes striving to make their community better. There are many ways people enrich the lives of others and we want to celebrate their contributions.
If you know someone who fits this description, please nominate them for consideration for this award. Nominations will be reviewed by an independent volunteer panel who will recommend recipients to John Barlow, MP for Foothills. The number of recipients is limited to 150 in recognition of Canada’s 150th Anniversary. To respect the privacy of nominees, we will be keeping nominations confidential and request nominators do the same.
Nomination deadline is April 14! Winners will be announced on June 17!
The Foothills Canada 150 Medal recognizes 150 outstanding individuals in the Foothills who have contributed to making our communities stronger with acts of individual distinction and excellence.
- Nominee must be an individual who resides within the boundaries of the Foothills Electoral District (no groups).
- The activities earning the nomination must have been conducted for the benefit of their community through volunteerism, sports, arts or other community building activities.
- The Foothills Canada 150 Medal cannot be given posthumously.
- One cannot nominate oneself, one’s spouse or a member of one’s immediate family and no one on the volunteer panel selecting recipients may nominate an individual.
- Nominations will be considered by a volunteer panel comprised of people from across Foothills.
- The panel may contact a nominator if clarification is required, but will otherwise not contact nominators or nominees on the status of their application.
- Applications are expected to remain confidential: knowledge of the nomination should be restricted to those who are compiling the nomination and the nominee.
- Deadline for nominations is Friday, April 14 at 5 p.m.
- Selections will be made by June 1, 2017.
- Awards will be presented to recipients in an event held on June 17, 2017.
- Only 150 people will be recognized.
- Nominations must be supported by a nominator and a seconder.
- Nominations are to be submitted in writing on the form provided with all supporting materials. Incomplete applications will not be accepted.
- All supporting letters must describe the author’s direct knowledge of the value and impact of the nominee’s contribution to their community as well as the author’s perspective about why the nominee should receive this recognition.
- Nominations may include newspaper articles or other materials describing the nominee’s contributions.
- Nominations must be received by 5:00 PM on April 14, 2017.
- Must not exceed 15 pages
- Must include:
- Nomination form
- Letter from nominator (max. 2 pages)
- Letter from seconder (max. 2 pages)
- Nominee’s resume or summary of relevant activities
- Supporting materials (letters, newspaper articles, etc)
- Must be on standard letter (8.5” x 11”) paper and will not be returned
Packages can be submitted by mail or email to:
John Barlow, MP Foothills
PO Box 5448
High River, AB